1. January 1, 2018. First snowshoe of the year in Olympic National Park with Grace.
2. January 24, 2018. A coastal sunset on our road trip from Washington to California.
3. January 25, 2018. A morning rainbow greeted us from Little River Inn in Mendocino, CA.
4. January 28, 2018. Our first hike in California—Long Ridge Open Space Preserve.
5. February 14, 2018. Catching a sunrise at Montara State Beach on my birthday. Then I hiked Montara Mountain.
6. March 3, 2018. Our friend Andrew came to visit us and we all hiked in Pinnacles National Park for the first time.
7. April 3, 2018. Enjoying the greenery in Mitchell Canyon at Mount Diablo State Park.
8. April 13, 2018. Mission Peak with Mount Diablo in the background, training for Mount Whitney.
9. April 15, 2018. Our first trip to Big Sur. We discovered Garrapata State Park by chance and loved it. It was the highlight of our day.
10. April 15, 2018. McWay Falls, an iconic waterfall in Big Sur and our turn-around point on our drive.
11. April 27, 2018. First time visiting Yosemite National Park. This was a hike to Yosemite Falls.
12. May 1, 2018. A little late to the waterfall game in California, but I made it to Uvas Canyon to do the well-known waterfall loop in May.
13. May 23, 2018. Hiking from Ed Levin County Park to Mission and Monument Peaks. Slowly upping my mileage to prep for Mount Whitney.
14. May 27, 2018. Visiting the calla lily valley at Garrapata State Beach with Grace.
15. June 7, 2018. Discovering mariposa lilies while hiking to Mount Olympia in Mount Diablo State Park.
16. July 11, 2018. Camping along the Four Lakes Loop in Trinity Alps Wilderness with Grace.
17. July 12, 2018. Gazing at the Milky Way from the shore of the lake.
18. July 19, 2018. Sunrise over Sequoia National Park, on the way to the summit of Mount Whitney.
19. July 19, 2018. 7:13 AM on the summit of Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the contiguous United States.
20. August 8, 2018. My first visit to Muir Woods National Monument, and the first trail description for my new writing gig with Modern Hiker.
21. August 11, 2018. Watching the Perseid Meteor Shower at Henry Coe State Park.
22. September 22, 2018. Climbing Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. Photo credit: Onur
23. October 4, 2018. I had just finished researching Kehoe Beach in Point Reyes National Seashore for Modern Hiker, and with the days growing shorter, stopped to catch the sunset at Chimney Rock.
24. November 18, 2018. Our first trip to Kauai, taking a helicopter past the waterfall in the opening scene of Jurassic Park.
25. November 21, 2018. Seeing a turtle while snorkeling off Poipu Beach in Kauai.
26. November 24, 2018. A fog burst along the Lands End Coastal Trail in San Francisco.
27. December 9, 2018. Discovering the Rose Garden while creating a loop trail at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.
28. December 10, 2018. Enjoying the start of waterfall season on the Cataract Trail in Marin.
29. December 17, 2018. Trail magic on the way to Carson Falls.
30. December 25, 2018
30. December 25, 2018. Returning to Long Ridge Open Space Preserve, the first hike we did together in the Bay Area, for our last hike of the year together.